Written by Toni Sather, our Middle School Ministry Director
WILL STARVE FOR FOOD…SO OTHERS DON’T HAVE TO
Long term faith formation is the core of the Oasis middle school ministry here at MGEFC. We are committed to introducing students to Jesus Christ and helping them to own a personal faith in Him, as well as, become committed Christ followers who make a positive difference in their world for Him!
Throughout the year, our Oasis students are given opportunities to grow in their faith, connect as family, and to share hope with their world. The 30 hour famine coming up on March 10-11 is one of those wonderful opportunities to help students:
- Grow closer to Christ
- Grow in compassion
- Grow in appreciation and gratefulness for what they have & take for granted
- Grow in unity and develop spiritual friends in Oasis
- Make a difference in children’s lives that are less fortunate than they are
- Make a difference and share the hope of Christ here in our own community
- Become a blessing
Did you know that 16,000 children die everyday due to hunger related diseases? That is about one child every second or 20 in the next minute! Every time you breath in and breath out, another child has died of hunger. The middle school students and leaders want to be a part of the solution! The way we are going to do that is by participating in the World Vision’s 30 hour famine on March 10-11.
- During their 30 hours, students go without food (but can drink plenty of water, broth and juice) to experience true hunger and we will end the famine with communion and a “BREAK-THE-FAST” meal.
- To help us grow closer to Christ during our time together, we will be replacing every physical meal with a spiritual meal of worship, prayer and Bible study.
- Students will become a member of a “tribe” and play many interactive, fun, learning games that will teach them powerful lessons of compassion for those who live with hunger daily.
- Lastly, we want to make a difference in our own community as well, so students will be collecting specific items in January that are needed to support several mission organizations in our city for a project called “EXTRA, EXTRA!”
HOW YOU CAN PARTNER WITH US AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE
1) Start going through your closets looking for donations. We will be collecting shoes, hats, mittens, boots, toys and clothes that you are not using or wearing anymore and delivering them to inner city ministries that desperately need them. You can drop donations off at the church before March 10.
2) Look for a middle school Oasis student to sponsor per hour while they go 30 hours without food so they can raise money to feed hungry kids across the globe. Just $35.00 can feed a hungry child for an entire month. If you sponsor a student $1.16 per hour, you can save the life of a child for a month.
The Oasis middle school servant leadership team (C.I.A.) made a group goal to raise $10,000 to feed hungry kids this year. That amount would feed 24 children for an entire year.
When Jesus walked on this earth, He had a special heart for the poor and hungry. Jesus said, “The king will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you do for the least of these, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40. Jesus is asking us to follow His example and to be His hands and feet to the hurting world around us.